Thursday, July 1, 2010

Conspicuously Consuming

First off, Happy Fourth of July weekend and also a big Happy Canada to anyone who recognizes Canada Day (July 1)!

Second, I'd like to continue our debate on conspicuous consumption that we started in class. Is our society more consumption-based or more leisure-centered?

As Jeff said he felt that we're leisure-based because when people are rich enough they don't have to do anything and can sit around and learn artsy things because they have all the free time in the world they are considered successful (I hope that's a correct paraphrase), and other people in class brought up regional, urban v rural conceptions.

I threw out my feeling about cribs and how that points to a consumption based economy, because we envy what those people have and the point of cribs and a big house is status-y and to show you have more than you will ever need in your life.

I think all of those points are true to certain degrees, but I think the ultimate reality is that our culture, the American culture, has created this sense in people that what we have is never good enough. We're never satisfied with what we've got and we always want more. More cars, more square footage, more time, less weight, more cowbell, whatever. It's part of what makes America so great because we never quit and we keep pushing until we reach our goals. I think it also has a tremendous downside because we're never taught the idea of being satisfied with what we have.

I mean lets be honest. Most of us are not going to be the next P Diddy, and our houses will never be as big as his. I worry that sometimes the subliminal messages our culture sends us is that we can't be happy when we don't have X or Y. I went to Peru in high school and I met a kid there who was literally rolling a bike tire around in circles and chasing it up and down the street. That was all he had, and he was so happy with life. Perhaps it was because he didn't know about all of the other stuff out there, but perhaps it was because he was just happy with what he had. I feel like a lot of Americans aren't happy with what they have. They think "after the next raise I'll be happy" or "once I get this car, then I'm done" or "when I have the time to golf whenever I want, that's how I know I've made it" but that's like suggesting money can buy happiness. And it can't. I am a firm believer that happiness comes from somewhere besides the things we have.

So is our culture consumption or leisure driven? I think it's more accurate to say our culture is driven by telling people they need what they don't have, regardless of what that is.

5 comments:

  1. I definately agree with what your saying. I feel like I would feel successful if I had time more than anything else. I love the outdoors, fishing, hunting, etc. so if I could do these things without worrying about work or other responsibilities then I personally would have made it. I really have no desire for stuff because what use is it to me when I die. Enjoying life while I am alive is my idea of success. Many wealthy people are unhappy and many are happy, the same can be said for unwealthy people. It all depends on morals and what people value personally. I do not think that people can be grouped into leisure or consumption as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with most of what you're saying. I do think that our society is easily dissatisfied with what we as individuals possess. I think that most people feel like when they have the big house or nice car that they've "made it." But, like I talked about in my blog - our society is split between wanting stuff and wanting time to do whatever they please. I completly agree that we need to be content with what we have and enjoy it to the full, but that would take a huge attitude change for the greater portion of society. Our drive for bigger and better is a blessing and a curse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right on here. The entire American economy is based on the dubious idea that if we have more or better things, then we will be happier. It's an illusion that is extremely hard to see through, because it's communicated to us everyday. Sometimes it's blatant, like Cribs, and sometimes the message is more subtle. But it's always there. I just recently heard a piece on NPR about a wide-ranging study about poverty and happiness. The study concluded that the poor (I think their sample was from Africa) are in a general sense, just as happy with their lives as people in 1st world countries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would agree that Americans are always going to be envious of what other people have no matter how much they have. I think in another way they also live vicariously through other people. I think that's one reason why shows like cribs and the Fabulous Life of a Celebrity on VH1 do so well. If you are not familiar with the show it is similar to cribs, but it also goes into the money they spend on vacations and parties and other things. I believe that mass media is to be blamed for the never ending want for stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that your point about Cribs is right on in the sense that it highlights the desire in American society to demonstrate status through excessive consumption. As you point out, the seemingly constant media bombardment shows that certain items indicate wealth and that regardless of your wealth level, one can aspire to the next level of wealth through the consumption of even more highly priced (and thus rare) items.

    ReplyDelete